Friday, July 22, 2005

Third time's the charm

Let's talk about luck. Namely, mine. Because I think that's the sole reason I passed driving today. I seriously doubt the instructor was charmed by my cute looks, or by my remarkably short skirt, and I'm almost definite that my driving totally failed to impress him. Scare a few years off his life, maybe, but impress? Nah...

So, how did I pass again? Beats me.

After careful consideration and analysis, I've come to the conclusion that it was a combination of factors. Firstly, the stars were all in alignment for me to pass (if I even knew how to read the stars that is...), secondly, it felt like a good day to drive and pass (it's one of those feelings you get in the pit of your stomach, though that could be purely due to the food I ate yesterday), and lastly, it was my third time driving. And you know what they say about third time lucky.

About this mystical number 3. It's associated with luck, as mentioned above. It's associated with witchcraft (think charmed). It's associated with mythology (the Fates in Greek mythos, for one. I'm pretty sure Norse mythology has it too. Just that I forgot their names. But the idea's the same, which just goes to show how much the two cultures thought alike, even though one was freezing half the time and the other was running marathons). There're just so many things that come in threes. Like past, present and future. Or the holy trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, was it?). Or that common adage, "heart, mind and soul". Or how the basic nuclear family is made up of two parents and a baby, and that makes THREE!!! Or how I was taught in school that a triangle's the most stable structure around, and a basic building block for most architecture (so we're all made of triangles?? Now someone should make a song out of that. It sounds so much better than Moby's 'We're all Made of Stars'. Definitely more marketable too...)

Anyway, if you're wondering why there's all this crap about 3 today, well. RJ got 3rd (both guys and girls) for canoeing. And I didn't go down to support them cos I went to drive. So I guess I'm feeling a bit guilty. So here's my accolade to my juniors...in a manner. Even though they'll probably never see this.

3's a nice number. And think about it, this is only the second year running! The third time's always the charm.

wen was dreaming at 11:59 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment